Monday, November 30, 2009

"i believe in Santa...*insert gleeful smile of a 5 year old curly haired girl in a red, fur lined coat*"


Yesterday we adorned the house with christmas decorations. People really do take it seriously here...But i'm beginning to understand that there is more to Australia's comparative lack of festivity then our laid back nature and general holiday laziness. Houses here are simply built to be covered in glistening decorations and strings of colourful light globes. Double storied, geometrical lines, large and open front yards and the seasonal fog and snow makes for the perfect holiday scene. The simplest of lights here look quant and warm, the larger displays exuding a sense of joy and christmas spirit that surrounds the house. I have a feeling Christmas meals shall be the same...when its -5 degree's there is nothing better then a carbohydrate induced plate of steaming meat and hearty vegetables. When it comes to Christmas i do feel Australians landed with the the chewed up end of the bone. I now feel less non-festive and more...well...Australian.


In other news i have experienced a few things lately as would be expected on my travels...i have also experiences some that wern't.


My step brother Johnny has a pet python...Anyone who knows me well will be aware of my absolute fear of snakes. My dear 4 year old friend Winton has a book we sometimes read that features a double page spread on snakes and a surge of unmatched fear paces through my blood as i attempt to read it to him. Generally i can't handle it and he graciously forgives me need to hastily turn the page. Johnny's snake is named "King". Below is a lovely picture of me...And King.
well on the jet lag front things don't appear to be backing off. Rather then over sleeping i just don't sleep at all...i think i'm going mildly insane. Last night marked my first night, since arriving in the states, of zero sleep. Jenn got about 4 hours. Prayer for our sleep patterns would be great.

We wen' to church this morning at Northview Christian Life Church, people were very friendly and their facilities blew my mind. The sermon was on the last chapter of Jonah and i thought the minister there, Steve Poe, did well t locating the main point...Will probably be returning there for the rest of my time here.

1 comment:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOO!
    How fun it all sounds!
    AND magical!!
    Praying for sleep!
    We all missed you oh so much at homegroup tonight!

    ReplyDelete